The documentary Seeds of Hope is a powerful tool for generating conversation around issues of sustainability, agriculture, rural land uses and community-based economic development. In the past decade, concerns about Hawai‘i’s food security and food sovereignty have been amplified by a nationwide movement towards local food production and consumption. The discussion about these issues in Hawai‘i is even more critical given the reality of our limited natural resources and our high dependence on external imports.
Unfortunately, this dialogue does not exist to the degree it could and should. Many of those directly impacted by our rural development policies are not sufficiently educated or engaged in the discussion around them.
HRDC invested in Seeds of Hope to stimulate a collective conversation over our rural development, agriculture and food systems. The documentary was made to appeal to a broad and diverse audience, with content that is as relevant to an independent, organic farmer as to a large-scale industrial producer; to teachers, students and professionals in the food production and distribution; to mothers and fathers who would like to have a say in what their children and grandchildren will be eating in years to come.
This film forum series targets a variety of audiences and statewide stakeholders. It consists of individual screenings and panel/audience discussions planned with strategic partner organizations that range from community centers, farming and educational institutions to the State Legislature. In most cases the screenings include a written exit survey designed to quantify people’s reactions to the key issues brought up by the film (ex: access to land and water; producing a new generation of farmers; GMO agriculture, etc.) Some of the events are documented with photographs and a written summary that includes the exit survey results (see “Film Forum Series” under the “Seeds of Hope the Movie” tab on our top nav bar).
Screenings to-date include:
- Hawai‘i International Film Festival – Honolulu
- Hawai‘i International Film Festival – Palace Theatre, Hilo, Hawai‘i Island
- Waimea Theater – Waimea, Kaua‘i
- Hanalei Elementary School – Hanalei, Kaua‘i
- The Venue, Bambu – Honolulu
- Ala Kukui Retreat Center – Hana, Maui
- Maui Arts & Cultural Center – Kahului, Maui
- Hawai‘i State Legislature – Honolulu, O‘ahu
- Kokua Kalihi Valley – Honolulu, O‘ahu
- Hawai‘i Pacific University – Honolulu, O‘ahu
- Doris Duke Theatre – Honolulu, O‘ahu
- Waikiki Elementary School – Honolulu, O‘ahu
- Whole Foods Market – Kailua, O‘ahu
- CoffeeTalk – Honolulu, O‘ahu
- The 6th Annual Hawai‘i School Garden Learning Symposium – Waimea, Hawai‘i
- Waimea Valley/Haleiwa Farmer’s Market – Waimea Valley, O‘ahu
- 21st Annual Hawai‘i Conservation Alliance Conference – Hawai‘i Convention Center, Honolulu, O‘ahu
- Kaunoa Senior Services – Paia, Hawai‘i
- The Kohala Center – Kohala, Hawai‘i
- Foodiology Series, Fresh Café – Honolulu, O‘ahu
- Punahou School – Honolulu, O‘ahu
- MA‘O Organic Farms – Wai‘anae, O‘ahu
- Kahala Elementary School – Honolulu, O‘ahu
- University of Hawai‘i – Manoa – Honolulu, O‘ahu
- Pacific Gateway Center – Kunia and Honolulu, O‘ahu
- Lana‘i High and Elementary School – Lana‘i City, Lana‘i
- Waialua High School – Waialua, O‘ahu
- Kalanianaole Hall – Kalamaula, Moloka‘i
- University of Hawai‘i – West O‘ahu – Kapolei, O‘ahu
- Hawaiian Humpback Whale Marine Sanctuary – Kihei, Maui
- Hawai‘i Community College – Hilo, Hawai‘i
If you are interested in hosting a Seeds of Hope Film Forum at your organization or community, please contact Catherine Mariko Black. We look forward to strengthening this conversation together.
Upcoming Film Forum Schedule
A special thanks to ‘Oiwi TV for DVD reproductions.